Stephen King Books In Chronological Order

90 comments

  • Scott

    Thank you for the list. I might accept to read ahead. I accept recently read "Carrie", "Salem's Lot" and the "The Shining" simply I've never read "Rage" so I might commencement there.

    • Chris

      Because of the content of Rage (schoolhouse shooting), it was taken out of publication and I had a hard time finding it. Finally lucked out when the library had an one-time edition of the Bachman Books compilation which included it. Just a heads up.

      • I found that there was an audiobook on YouTube that hadn't been taken downward. It might nevertheless be there. The narrator was damn practiced, simply the audio was repose so I'd recommend wearing earbuds or downloading it and raising the volume using a video editing software.

    • Hollie Wilson

      Rage is not what I expected when hearing it was virtually a school shooting. Overall it'south i of my favorite books though. Definitely worth the hunt!

  • Damn impressive list of books.

  • Rick

    Thanks for the list. But I idea Optics of the Dragon was published in 1987, no?

    • It was offset published equally a limited edition in 1984 via King'due south ain Philtrum Printing — the Viking merchandise was Feb '87.

      • Yeah, nosotros went with the engagement of the Express Edition for that 1 and The Gunslinger since they were published a few years before any trade editions.

  • Whew! I'm non missing whatsoever of his fiction works. I counted The Bachman Books as one and not four novels. I am missing some non-fiction. And so, I demand to buy those STAT.

  • marinindy

    Ok, I'm set! I counted the Bachman Books equally one, also. I do keep searching the tag and yard sales for those original paperbacks, tho 😉

  • Dana Louise

    I read CARRIE on Halloween… I don't think I had ever read information technology… What a wonderful book… Beautiful writing… Sue Snell- a name that volition haunt the edges of my subconscious for awhile… I can't say how happy I am to be pushed to revisit all these books in order… apparently making a few new volume friends as I go… Time to go through the list y'all only posted and see what books I'm missing… Thank you lot for the list!

  • Gregg Lang

    Cheque, cheque, and bank check. Got em all, including the individual original paperbacks of Bachman. Withal waiting for my 1st signature though.

  • Joann

    Thanks for the listing! Tried to go on up on the Works Past SK list from his website, just demand to find The Secretary of Dreams Vol.1. May order ebooks for the ease of reading. Looking frontward to the upcoming DC Revival book tour trip. Fifty-fifty if I don't acquire a signed book, I enjoy listening to SK. My husband is more into reading software code, but does appreciate Stephen'south wit and sense of humor. Happy reading!

  • Scott C.

    I did this re-read a couple of years ago; I stopped at The Colorado Kid (that and the rest next year, maybe.) Information technology is/was/will exist an amazing journey.

  • Jan Roubal

    I started reading Stephen Male monarch from the showtime. I had to wait for the paperback to come out because I couldn't afford the hardback. What a long wait each fourth dimension! At present I have all of them in hardback and my hubby buys me each new volume the 24-hour interval it comes out. I still have the old paperback and yous tin tell they have been read & re-read over and over. My favorite is The Stand up. I have both the original release and the extended release. I'm now trying to collect all his movies on DVD. Just love Stephen Rex!

    • Mary Goetzinger

      Jan, I have many Stephen King movies and no longer wish to proceed dvd's. If at that place are whatsoever you need, please contact me and I'll see if I have them. I would want them to get to someone who will really cherish them. 🙂

      Mary
      Marygoetz@aol.com

      I'll try to get a listing together if you want to transport me a private message thru email to see if I have anything y'all need.

  • Loving the title The Bazaar of Bad Dreams!

  • Interesting. Both versions of The Stand up, but simply one version of The Gunslinger (presumably the original)?

    • We hadn't withal discussed reading the revised version of The Gunslinger, simply it might be added to the list!

      • Absurd. I've read the revised version four times, but never read the original. Worth the read, or will it just misfile me? (I think I already know the answer..) 😛

        • I don't think the original will confuse you at all. The revised version more often than not added some foreshadowing and fixed some cultural references that didn't work for the series as it developed, if I recall correctly!

          • Hans Curtis

            my question is, if both versions of the STAND are on the list, does that mean both versions will be read? as Richard is reading THE Stand up right at present, and from the pic posted, information technology would be the first edition paperback. This means he is reading the shorter version. when he gets to the publication engagement of THE Stand uncut, volition he exist reading that entire version as well?

  • Kim Stone

    Haven't heard of the final two. Finders Keepers and Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Where can I discover out out those?

    • Finders Keepers is the follow-up to Mr. Mercedes and volition be published in June 2015. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams is a new short story drove and will exist published in the fall of 2015. I believe King has said it collects xx of his stories, so it should exist a pretty large book.

  • I have a question regarding ii books I don't discover in this list, one that possibly should exist and one that I'k not sure nearly. The get-go is 'Secret Windows: Essays and Fiction on the Craft of Writing'. This was published in 2000 and says Biok-Of-The-Month-Club at the bottom of the championship page and so I'm not certain if it belongs here or not. The other is 'The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer'. This was published in 2001 and was also a made for Television receiver pic. It says nothing about King on it but I had always been led to believe he had something to do with either the volume or the motion picture. Can whatever one clear that up for me? Thanks. -Lyn

    • Thanks for asking!

      As of right at present, Rich isn't including Secret Windows considering information technology was a Book of the Calendar month Lodge only title, but that could alter if enough readers disagree and think it should be included.

      The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer was actually written past Ridley Pearson.

      • Did King accept anything to exercise with either the Diary book or the picture show? I recollect watching it considering somewhere at that place was an ad stating he was involved. Of class that was a few years ago so peradventure I'm merely remembering information technology incorrectly. Thank you for the reply!- Lyn

        • Other than it being based on Rose Red, I don't recall him really being involved, but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'thousand wrong!

          • King was simply involved insofar equally Rose Crimson was his story and it was his proffer that fellow Rock Lesser Remainder Ridley Pearson write the tie-in novel when ABC suggested it. Pearson was heavily involved in the movie that was made from the diary, but Rex had zero to do with it.

          • Theresa Turnbull

            He WAS the pizza delivery guy in Rose Red though…lol

  • Past whatsoever chance, will Secretarial assistant of Dreams, vols 1 and 2 exist rereleased past Cemetery Dance so those of u.s.a. following along tin can read them too? 🙂

    • I'd 2nd that.

      Yet, I don't recollect the books belong on this list. They didn't contain any new stories by King, then essentially y'all'd just exist reviewing the artwork. Which would be interesting — only surely that would and then mean that the project ought to include comics, movies, and other adaptations likewise, right?

  • Linda Przygoda

    I, too, would like to exist able to purchase Secretary of Dreams, vols I and Ii through Cemetery Dance. My husband and I recently retired, and I have a very full plate for the next few months until nosotros sell the house in the Frozen North and finish moving to sunny Florida. I do program, all the same, to beginning reading along and grab up with Richard and the other Constant Readers as before long as I can!

  • Lanny McKay

    You lot know,those of us who accept read Mr. King's short story collections have never been disappointed, then it's strange that perhaps he hasn't been recognized plenty in this venue. However, when y'all look at the number of movies that have been made from his curt stories, you know his talent is obvious. I LOOK Frontward to the publication of his The Bazaar of Bad Dreams!!!

      • Yet nevertheless it was published (albeit only online). If King had non notwithstanding managed to finish "The Night Tower" (which, to some degree, he admits he hasn't), would those books be left off?

        • I'thousand definitely willing to listen to the argument for re-reading the eBook of The Plant, even if it was but "Office One" and never finished across that point. I shall mention it to Richard during our next coming together. At the very to the lowest degree, it's an interesting piece of Stephen King history…

          • To me, it feels like besides substantial a work to skip. Plus, information technology'due south pretty good! I keep hoping he'll turn his eye dorsum toward it one of these days.

            While I'grand at it, I might as well also make a instance for "Silver Bullet." It's just a screenplay, sure, but (like "Storm of the Century," which is on the list) it WAS published as a book.

  • David Rasch

    Read my outset Stephen King this twelvemonth – at historic period 64! It was 11/233/63. I was 13 at the time. Since and then I graduated (?) to the Dome then the Stand, lastly the entire Dark Belfry serial.
    Bought each movie after I read the book. All simply The Dome were really good. Buying a book so seeing the motion picture or vice versa, remembering I've read A LOT of books up until now, is a quirk I am proud of. I tin do this as I am disabled, both social security and veterans, and so I have the fourth dimension to indulge.
    If anyone would care to comment, I am unsure about collaboration books. I don't know how that works; how an author does this type writing.

  • I'grand a abiding reader who not only loves Stephen's stories but his Afterword. I also love his use of music throughout his stories. Stephen writes his ancestry with mounting urge to read more and doesn't disappoint every bit the story progresses to its crescendo. I enjoyed the first 3 of the Night Tower series. 1 of my favorites is "Dolores Claiborne." I also relish your short stories and noticed a similarity to some of the Classic Horror stories by Robert Louis Stevenson and Edgar Allan Poe. You outdid your writing with the Dark-green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. Ane of my favorites is "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon." Ane of my favorites was "On Writing: A Memoir of the Arts and crafts." Will be a Abiding Reader for as long as you write. You write as if you are talking directly to me….very private and personal. Thank you for surviving unsurmountable pain and healing to go on your works. See you in the words….Paula Baskette

    • David Rasch

      I, likewise, have noticed Mr. Male monarch'south love for music. I look for literary allusions and outright authors' names and titles. For me, Mr. King's books 'read themselves'. I've read authors in this and other genres who take a LONG time, if ever, developing my interest equally the way Mr. King does.
      I have also been to Maine. Information technology was 1970. Perhaps not the same equally staying in a Cabin 6, but close.

  • jerry

    is the "The Dark Belfry: The Air current thru the keyhole" 2012, the Dark Belfry 8?

    • Yous might telephone call it that. SK sometimes refers to it every bit The Dark Tower 4.5, since the contemporary storyline sites between Magician & Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

  • Pingback: Revisiting 'Salem's Lot by Richard Chizmar | Stephen Male monarch Revisited

  • Linda T-M

    I bought Secretary of Dreams, Vols Two — just somehow miss Vol. I. I am quite a hard time finding that book published past Cemetary Dance. ????? Bummer. Whatever suggestions? Linda

    • Save up a couple of thousand dollars and then go to eBay. It'due south hella out of print.

      • found one at a used volume shop for 30 bucks!!

  • I think this is an amazing this to practise! Being unemployed with health issues right now and having to help my family make information technology through the holidays, I can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of SK books. At only 23, my collection right now is kind of small and i would love to take that journey with y'all. Male monarch is one of the reasons i was inspired to self-publish four books and continue to write through my struggles now. But since I can't read a long, i'll read and bask these posts! It should be an awesome ride.

  • Hello! I was curious why some novellas and short stories didn't brand the Revisited list? I'm referring to UR, Throttle, Mile 81, In the Alpine Grass, and especially A Face in the Crowd. Thank you for your time!

    • Hi Tara! We're only roofing short stories and novellas that have been collected in Male monarch's collections or published as standalone editions like Blockade Billy. The collaborations with Joe Colina won't be in the adjacent collection due out in 2015, but some of the others y'all mention almost certainly will be, so they'll exist covered then. Thank you for asking!

      • Wasn't My pretty pony published every bit a standalone? it is not included. Besides I think for sure, Riding the Bullet and the plant demand to be added. They were landmark ideas at the time. Displaying King's foresight of the future of publishing. The revised editions of the Gunslinger and Salem's Lot demand to exist included. If tempest of the century is included then silverish bullet has to exist equally it was published in book format. It may be difficult to discover, but and so is Rage (as King pulled it from impress). Secret Windows needs to be included as well, information technology is listed in the forepart of King works. I am assuming we are not including vi stories, because information technology is impossible to become a re-create for less than $750. Bottom line we should avoid cut as many corners equally possible.

        • Also to be considered: American Vampire Vol one, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, and Stephen King Goes to the Movies. An arguement can be fabricated for each.

          • Thanks for the feedback, Gary!

          • Hans Curtis

            y'all can count CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF as Argent BULLET, every bit that is the book the film came from, RAGE is not that hard to notice at all, millions of copies of THE BACHMAN BOOKS in its collected class are nonetheless easy to find at a used book cost ( any more than $20 and you are getting robbed) both STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES and SIX STORIES publish previously published fabric , same to all those who request SECRETARY OF DREAMS 1 and two. .and RIDING THE BULLET is also in EVERYTHING IS EVENTUAL.

      • with occludent billy beingness listed as included in The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, is it going to exist dropped from the list?

  • Ian Lever

    Might Richard consider recording his readings into sound books?

    • I kind of love this thought! I'll pass it along. Thanks!

  • I love this "Stephen King Revisited" Re-Read Forth.These are my guesses: you might non accept read "Cycle of the Werewolf" and "Storm of the Century". I didn't even try guessing "The Plant". As it seems, I am also, pending, a consummate, affordable hardcover. I am loving the revisit of "the darkly frightening "RAGE";always more terrifying considering of its seemingly; psychic, precognition; of our nowadays exponentially increasing social situations. All The All-time Mr. Chizmar, Regards, Ronald Scott Sippel.

  • Susan

    Where's "Thinner" (written as Richard Bachman)?

    • Hiding in the mid-1980s, between The Talisman and Skeleton Coiffure.

  • I have already purchased Finder Keepers and await forward to its release. Is Cemetery Trip the light fantastic treatment "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams" likewise? I desire to pre-order that book besides. Stephen King Rules!!!!! Many Thank you!

  • Scott

    Why was My Pretty Pony not addressed in ane of the earlier posts? I accept the oversized book and it is really good and should be on the listing.

    • It'due south collected in Nightmares and Dreamscapes and will be discussed there.

  • Wim Van Overmeire

    Is the e-book publication of Riding the Bullet that was published in 2000 different from the version of that story that was in Everything's Eventual in 2002?

  • I was at a book signing for 'Revival" and the guy in line in front of me was chatting everyone up. He turned to me and said, "And then which Stephen King books have yous read?" Me: "All of them." What other answer could there exist?

  • Sam King

    I have read all of the Stephen Rex books in the list except the illustrated ones – The Dark Man and Secretary of Dreams I and Two (which are illustrations of existing short stories) – and Faithful (just could never get into it. I have read most of his books more than once. I accept also read My Pretty Pony, which is non in the list.

  • How is Occludent Billy affected now that is it being included in The Bazaar of Bad Dreams? We take non included other books that are included into collections

    • That's a skilful question. The other novellas like My Pretty Pony and Dolan's Cadillac didn't take trade editions for the mass market from SK's New York publisher like Occludent Billy, so it is a petty different in that sense, but it is as well at present in a collection. We'll probably make a decision when we get closer!

  • new king book announced The Suicide Prince !

    • The title is at present End of Watch

  • Please cheque the link to "Richard'southward Thoughts" for Firestarter – it is incorrectly pointing to instead of [world wide web.stephenkinrevisited.com]

  • Adam Hall

    What happened to Creepshow?

    • Richard decided to skip information technology since he doesn't consider information technology to be a existent SK book.

  • Patricia Denson

    I have been reading Stephen Rex's books since I was 12. Take not missed ane of his books !! Would never tell my historic period, simply has been a long journeying and accept loved everyone !! He has a fantastic heed.

  • Wow!
    I beloved Stephen Rex and when i bought my first kindle in 2011, i decided to re-read all his books by order! Glad to see others doing and blogging near it!
    four years passed, and i'm still non done 😀

  • Susan Morris

    What about the collections in Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight.

    • They're on the list. We've already covered Dissimilar Seasons.

  • Nick

    I've been loving this. Thank you for all the piece of work yous've put in here.

    Was any thought given to including Nightmares in the Sky? Might be a scrap insubstantial, merely could brand a skilful inclusion if for no other reason than to highlight the book for people who don't know virtually it.

  • sKoT

    I started a re-read of all his books this by Summer. I am reading The Library Policeman from Four Past Midnight now. I cheated and read some Bazaar of Bad Dreams but who tin can arraign me lol. I read Mr. Mercedes but have resisted Finders Keepers thus far. That will likely alter when Stop of Watch is released every bit I am going to become see him for the reading, Q&A session in Dayton this Summer. Hoping to exist one of the 400 picked for a signed re-create. I have an early edition of Pet Sematary I would LOVE to take signed, the starting time book I read of his and by far my favorite every since. Trying to assemble all his DVD'Southward now. I have Rose Red, IT, The Mist, Children of the Corn, Shawshank Redemption, the Green Mile, Creepshow & Dreamcatcher. Even so have a ways to go lol. I have all his paperbacks and near 37 hardcover so that collection is coming on nicely :). Cheers for the comprehensive list and crawly site. Honey that others beloved his work as much equally I practise to reread them all over again! I've read all his works at least one time and my favorites at least a dozen times lol. Reading them chronologically makes it experience like a journey though. And similar Roland I volition probably restart the same journey over and over once again for all my days…

  • Claire Anton

    The first Stephen Male monarch book I read was "Salem's Lot" in 1975. We were living in Topsham, ME then. As I sabbatum in the business firm it the evening reading the book I was scared out of my wits as I could picture all those ME sights. From then on, I was hooked. Cheers for all the joy you've brought to my reading life, Mr. King.

  • Stacey Kinnard

    I am one of your biggest fan I accept ever book you lot accept written fifty-fifty the ones under Bachman I take a hard copy and paper back I love all your books that'south all I ain I will only read your books thank you for the wonderful books

  • Greg White

    I have a suggestion for Stephen King.Thinner in opposite entitle information technology Fatter brand information technology about a gypsy expletive making a thin guy fat and have it end with him dying from a middle attack.

  • Randy

    I never knew that there was a last volume in the night belfry series the wind through the keyhole Wow!!

  • Simon Edwards

    When are you going to put upward more reviews and comments of the books? They are the next best matter to reading King

  • Niknak

    What near Hole-and-corner Windows: Essays and fiction on the craft of writing from 2000? Not the usual… I think he did it exclusively for his book club members.

  • Grand

    Is there anywhere to see a list in the order books were written, including the Bachman ones, and not the guild that they were published? Thank you!

    • Bev Vincent compiled this listing for the early on stuff, through 1984. After that, nosotros think it tin can exist assumed things were pretty much in sequence:

      1965-1966 Unpublished: The Aftermath
      1966-1967 The Long Walk
      1968 Unpublished: Sword in the Darkness
      1966-1971 Rage
      1970-1981 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
      1972 The Running Man
      1973 Carrie
      1973 Blaze
      1973 'Salem'southward Lot
      1973-1974 Roadwork
      1974 The Shining
      1975-1976 The Stand
      1976 Two incomplete novels: Welcome to Clearwater and The Corner
      1977 The Dead Zone
      1977 Firestarter
      September 1977 – March 1981 Cujo
      February 1979 – December 1982 Pet Sematary
      1979 Christine
      1979 Danse Macabre
      September ninth, 1981 -December 28th, 1985 It
      1982-1986: The Dark Tower: The Cartoon of the Three
      1982-1983 The Talisman
      1982 Incomplete: The Cannibals
      August 19th, 1982 – May 19th, 1987 The Tommyknockers
      1983 The Eyes of the Dragon
      September 23rd 1984 – Oct 7th 1986: Misery
      1984 Thinner

  • Gwendy'southward Magic Feather is missing. Still holding out promise this site will come back, fifty-fifty if it's picked up by someone else.

Leave a Respond Cancel reply